Skip to main content

Feminist Reviews: Star Wars Return of The Jedi

Alrighty... so my last installment in the Star Wars Feminist Reviews for the time being... I'm sure there will be more... but those will wait a while lol. Anyway I don't have too much to say about this one... but Leia saves Han... and that's a huge deal.

This is one of the biggest movies ever... one that a lot of kids watch when they are little... I watched it when I was little... and after seeing a lot of movies about the Prince saving the Princess... it was nice to see the Princess saving the man for once. And it was romantic and surprising and it was kind of dramatic after seeing The Empire Strikes Back. It was just really cool.

I also like how she handled the situation with the Ewoks... she didn't know what the Ewoks were or what they wanted... she just kind of talked to them calmly and handled the situation really well... and they respected her for that and made her their queen. It was really pretty awesome.

There's probably a lot of positive and negative stuff I could say about this movie... I don't remember it that well at the moment... so there will probably be another review sometime later... but it's always good to see the princess saving the prince... or in this case rebel scum... lol.

Byee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why "The Ditzy Character" Is Problematic/ Don't Let anyone question your intelligence.

So... I mentioned last week that I don't think we need a dumb female character on TV or in movies and it just doesn't really add anything to the story if there's just a dumb character... of either gender really. It's a cheap gag for laughs... and girls should know that it's not just funny to be dumb... and that people won't like you any better if you act dumb... it's okay to be smart. I'm smart... I don't think I'm the smartest person in the world... I'm sure if I said that many people reading this would disagree... lol. But in school I usually got good grades... maybe not in Science or Math or any of those types of subjects... but English, history. Those are my friends. And as far as English classes go... I was the best student in several of my classes and I'm proud of myself for that... The thing is... I feel like a lot of people won't believe me about that because at some point in my life... I've acted "dumb" beca...

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every da...

Feminsit Movie Review- Amelie

So in March I think I'm going to try to watch a different movie every night... and if I think there's a feminist message in it- or if it was important to pop culture for women... I'll write about it! I'll start off with Amelie. I didn't really know what this movie was about... I just knew that it was in French, I thought it looked like a love story... and from the previews it looked beautiful and interesting. And I was right... kinda. What I thought was powerful about this movie from a feminist standpoint was that, even though it was a love story... that wasn't the focus of the movie at all. The focus was mostly on a strange girl that kept to herself most of the time and had a vivid imagination... even as an adult. Although she was quiet and didn't really interact with people... Amelie is quite a strong character. If she doesn't like someone, she'll do something about it right away and create a certain sense of justice. In contrast- if she does...