Skip to main content

Why I Wear Makeup

Allright... so I think I've decided Thursday is going to be more pop culture type of reviews and Tuesday is going to be more how I've experienced feminism or something about being a woman that has effected my life... or how pop culture has had a larger impact on feminism... or something along those lines.

So first off... there's no difference if you wear makeup- if you don't wear makeup. If you're a girl and you wear makeup, if you're a girl and you don't... if you're a boy and you do or don't if you're trans or gender non conforming or whatever you identify with. It doesn't matter if you wear makeup or if you don't.

There was something on the news where a woman said it was unprofessional not to wear makeup and I think the other woman said it was unprofessional to wear makeup... it honestly makes no difference either way. People wouldn't call men unprofessional for having a more expensive tie or something like that... I think there are probably better equivalents... but it really shouldn't have anything to do with being professional or unprofessional.

And I've heard a lot of people say "Ohhh there are so many people that seem to wear makeup because they have something missing or they're trying to make up for something by doing their makeup." And... I'll tell you the real reason why I wear makeup right now...

I LIKE MAKEUP!!!!! 

That's right... I wear makeup because I like it! I buy makeup because I like makeup and I use it... and I have no better answer than that. It's not because I'm single and trying to get a man. It's not because I'm trying to be professional or unprofessional. I'm not making a feminist stance by wearing it... I'm not supporting female brands and businesses... although I do like doing that... I just wear makeup because I like it.

And it has kind of been an interesting interest of mine. I started doing makeup when I was in college because my roommate would do makeup and I kind of wanted something to do in the morning... and then I just sort of liked having something to do in the morning... I like reviewing makeup for my blog... I like coming up with different looks... I just kind of like most things about makeup.

Also I don't think women should be shamed for what type of makeup they use. I have just as many drugstore products that I love and swear by as high end products.

And... yeah. That's just it. I don't think its particularly feminist or anti feminist to wear makeup or not wear makeup... I don't see it as professional or unprofessional... it's just kind of makeup. It's something to do... so if you like it-wear it... if you don't like it don't wear it! There are no real rules!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every day. I have a be

Feminist Disney: Zootopia

Zootopia is a really great Disney movie with some great messages about accepting others... but I also think this is a good feminist movie also. Disney has a lot of strong female characters, especially as of recently... Disney does sort of underrepresent women in movies because of marketing. I swear... all The Force Awakens toys I saw were Kylo Ren... and that isn't okay... but anyway this is kind of cool that it isn't marketed as a girls movie or a boys movie but the main character and -SPOILERS- the villain in the story are women. Judy Hopps and Assistant Mayor Bellwether have a lot in common also. They are both "Meek Prey," they are both trying to succeed in a field that is mainly filled with male predators... they're both very ambitious, smart characters. They have similar dreams- they just get there in different ways and handle their mistakes differently... which defines them as a hero vs a villain. They don't really mention the difference between me

Feminish TV : Black Mirror Season 3 Episode 1: Nosedive

I had been wanting to see Black Mirror for a while, and this is the episode Netflix decided to play for me. Oddly, they have Black Mirror starting from the Most Recent Season and then going back to the first season… so it’s the opposite of what they normally do.   Also, in case no one knows, Black Mirror is a horror/sci fi series kind of like The Twilight Zone, but a lot darker and scarier. So each episode is different, different cast different characters, different story… so its kind of like its own movie… but a little bit shorter.  This one stars Bryce Dallas Howard as a woman living in a world where Social Media is everything. People have something attached to their eye that brings up everyone’s profile whenever you look at them, you can see their “Score” which shows how popular they are. 5s are the highest… most people are in the 4 range. Bryce Dallas Howard’s character is in the mid-4’s and she’s looking to bring herself up to a higher 4. There are advantages to being a h