Skip to main content

Femin-ish News: What Men should Know About the Woman's March, Remembering Mary Tyler Moore, Oscar Nominations

So I think I'm going to call this Femin-ish News because some of it may be very themed on Feminism... while some might just be things women did or accomplished that I think helps society in some way... so yeah... I was just going to make this about the Men's March thing... but then I decided to include some more things... so we're talking about a lot!

Men's March
I feel stupid even posting this because I'm kind of baffled about this one... but... here you go... Piers Morgan decided to tweet this in response to the Woman's March.



Here's what you should do if you are a man feeling "emasculated" by the march... Congratulations! You now know what women feel like every single day. Seriously!?!?!?!?!! The whole reason women are marching is because we feel like our voices aren't being heard. The government has more of a say in a woman's body than the actual woman. That's frightening. I don't really see how it's impending on Men's rights... except for a man's rights to control a woman's body... which she should be in control of.

So yeah... Patton Oswalt took this guy down on twitter, with the help of other followers. I'll link that right here it's pretty funny. They basically used a lot of stereotypes about women and men to make a point that it doesn't really matter that women are marching for their rights and you shouldn't feel threatened by it.

No one is saying to make women better than men... we're saying we want women to be equal to men... because it's 2017 and there is still no equality. So yeah... I don't think you should think of feminist as "rabid" or "crazy" or anything... we just kind of want you to listen and to see us as equals.

So yeah... I don't even really know how to respond to this one because I am a little baffled that Feminism is seen as emasculating... it really isn't. Men are allowed to be feminists... how can that be emasculating? Ugh. It's just so frustrating. I just kinda needed this to rant because... that's just a silly thing to think. I don't know if Piers Morgan was joking or not... I'm hoping he was. I don't know very much about him, but I think he's more of an entertainment reporter... so maybe this wasn't serious...But people listen to this guy and probably agreed with him and that's scary. Luckily, it seems that more people are agreeing with Patton Oswalt... so that makes me feel a little better. But still.

I guess that's the end of this post? Maybe this is a bad news post... but that's just kind of a thing that happened and my reaction to it... so yeah? Lol. No real resolution... just the end. I don't think I need to comment on it much more.

This Article by Dina Leygerman sums up why women are marching better than I just did, so I encourage that you read that!

Mary Tyler Moore's Passing at Age 80 

Mary Tyler Moore passed away this week, and it is a very sad loss. While talking about women in Pop Culture... I think that The Mary Tyler Moore show was a HUGE milestone for women in television. There aren't many tv shows nowadays called "The (comedian's name) show." And there really haven't been a lot for women as far as I can think of it. There was Cybill, which was Cybill Shepherd's show. Ellen from Ellen Degeneres (I think she had another show by a similar name after that) and The Geena Davis Show are the only ones that are coming to mind for me right now... other than sketch shows at least. So that's a pretty big deal that she came from co-starring on The Dick Van Dyke show to starring in her own show... along with Rhoda... so yeah a show about 2 women... not something you really see a lot even now. I've read about female shows sometimes not being picked up because men wouldn't watch them... but I'm sure men and women would watch Mary Tyler Moore with no issue.

I've never really seen an episode that I can remember... but it is rare for an actress in TV to have more than one iconic role... and she had a lot! 2 iconic TV characters, and on TV they were listing all the movies she's been in... she has done a lot! So it is very sad news indeed... but she will always be remembered.

Oscar Nominations 
There was a lot more diversity in the selection of movies this year. Also a lot of strong female roles! I haven't seen any of the movies nominated for anything other than Animated feature... but Fences and Florence Foster Jenkins are about women in history. I have read the play Fences before and I know its a very strong role for Viola Davis to play...not sure supporting is the right category for it... it seems like a leading role... but I guess that's what it is for the Tony's and that is probably how Viola Davis submitted herself. Same with Hidden Figures, I've heard it's more of an ensemble so that's why Octavia Spencer is also supporting. This is the 2nd time these actresses have been nominated for the same category.

Jackie is another one that is an interesting story about a woman and I've heard Natalie Portman is amazing in it.  Loving I know is about a trial for interracial marriage... I'm sure that was a very powerful role for Ruth Negga. La La Land I haven't seen yet... but I know it's a love story and I've heard it described as "The right people falling in love at the wrong time" and I believe Emma Stone plays an Actress trying to make it... and this probably happens to a lot of actresses or just people in general... and I'm sure her portrayal is amazing. I need to see that movie!

Also animated movies... that's a subject I find very influential for young girls. When I was little I really looked up to the Disney Princesses and strong TV characters... and I'm not saying Cinderella and Snow White aren't strong characters... I'm probably going to do a whole "feminist Disney" thing... but characters like Jasmine, Mulan, Belle, Meg from Hercules... those were my kind of people. Lol. Anyway Zootopia and Moana are 2 movies that star strong female characters! There were rumors they weren't going to stop with Princess movies because they weren't for boys... but clearly they are doing well and I think Judy Hopps from Zootopia and Moana are great examples for girls. And there were lots of other messages in Zootopia particularly for diversity... and Moana was the first Polynesian Disney Princess. So I think it is awesome that they are nominated! Those are also the only 2 movies I've seen on the list... which is usually what happens with animated movies. Lol. I liked these.

Anyway that is everything! Hope you like these news updates... I'm going to continue doing sort of opinion-y news stories like this every week or from time to time. These are important so... yeah.


Byeee!
-Shannon 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every day. I have a be

Feminist Disney: Zootopia

Zootopia is a really great Disney movie with some great messages about accepting others... but I also think this is a good feminist movie also. Disney has a lot of strong female characters, especially as of recently... Disney does sort of underrepresent women in movies because of marketing. I swear... all The Force Awakens toys I saw were Kylo Ren... and that isn't okay... but anyway this is kind of cool that it isn't marketed as a girls movie or a boys movie but the main character and -SPOILERS- the villain in the story are women. Judy Hopps and Assistant Mayor Bellwether have a lot in common also. They are both "Meek Prey," they are both trying to succeed in a field that is mainly filled with male predators... they're both very ambitious, smart characters. They have similar dreams- they just get there in different ways and handle their mistakes differently... which defines them as a hero vs a villain. They don't really mention the difference between me

Feminish TV : Black Mirror Season 3 Episode 1: Nosedive

I had been wanting to see Black Mirror for a while, and this is the episode Netflix decided to play for me. Oddly, they have Black Mirror starting from the Most Recent Season and then going back to the first season… so it’s the opposite of what they normally do.   Also, in case no one knows, Black Mirror is a horror/sci fi series kind of like The Twilight Zone, but a lot darker and scarier. So each episode is different, different cast different characters, different story… so its kind of like its own movie… but a little bit shorter.  This one stars Bryce Dallas Howard as a woman living in a world where Social Media is everything. People have something attached to their eye that brings up everyone’s profile whenever you look at them, you can see their “Score” which shows how popular they are. 5s are the highest… most people are in the 4 range. Bryce Dallas Howard’s character is in the mid-4’s and she’s looking to bring herself up to a higher 4. There are advantages to being a h