Skip to main content

Thank you, Joan Rivers

With this blog, I want to thank some women that I think really changed the game in some way shape or form!

Joan Rivers is someone that might be controversial to put on this list. A lot of people criticize her for focusing on what women were wearing and judging them on that rather than asking them "important" questions... I seem to remember her often talking to women quite a bit and she definitely asked them more than just the iconic "Who are you wearing?" She was the fashion reporter for the red carpet... so of corse she was going to focus on the fashion aspect of the award ceremony! I'm not really sure what people were expecting from that.

Joan rivers was actually the first woman to host a late-night talk show on a major network. I don't think her show lasted long... but a few years later she had a daytime show that won her a Daytime Emmy. Rivers was definitely one of the funniest comedians at a time when there weren't a lot of women comedians. Even right before her passing she was going to perform stand up in Red Bank, New Jersey. That is a long time to work and that in itself is definitely something to look up to.

One of the things I miss most about Joan Rivers is the relationship that she had with her daughter Melissa. It is rare to see a mother and daughter duo working together and getting along with such a strong relationship. Melissa was really everything to Joan... and I think Joan was everything to Melissa as well. There aren't many mother and daughter relationships in Hollywood that are so strong... and its the thing that hit me the hardest when Joan Rivers passed away. I still really do miss seeing the two of them together on The Red Carpet.

Thank you, Joan Rivers! You are an awesome lady. I will definitely think of you if I ever start writing comedy or do standup or if I ever become a mother. I don't think I'd be a Hollywood Mother... but you never know. Lol. The red carpet is not the same without you!

Thank you!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why "The Ditzy Character" Is Problematic/ Don't Let anyone question your intelligence.

So... I mentioned last week that I don't think we need a dumb female character on TV or in movies and it just doesn't really add anything to the story if there's just a dumb character... of either gender really. It's a cheap gag for laughs... and girls should know that it's not just funny to be dumb... and that people won't like you any better if you act dumb... it's okay to be smart. I'm smart... I don't think I'm the smartest person in the world... I'm sure if I said that many people reading this would disagree... lol. But in school I usually got good grades... maybe not in Science or Math or any of those types of subjects... but English, history. Those are my friends. And as far as English classes go... I was the best student in several of my classes and I'm proud of myself for that... The thing is... I feel like a lot of people won't believe me about that because at some point in my life... I've acted "dumb" beca...

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every da...

Feminsit Movie Review- Amelie

So in March I think I'm going to try to watch a different movie every night... and if I think there's a feminist message in it- or if it was important to pop culture for women... I'll write about it! I'll start off with Amelie. I didn't really know what this movie was about... I just knew that it was in French, I thought it looked like a love story... and from the previews it looked beautiful and interesting. And I was right... kinda. What I thought was powerful about this movie from a feminist standpoint was that, even though it was a love story... that wasn't the focus of the movie at all. The focus was mostly on a strange girl that kept to herself most of the time and had a vivid imagination... even as an adult. Although she was quiet and didn't really interact with people... Amelie is quite a strong character. If she doesn't like someone, she'll do something about it right away and create a certain sense of justice. In contrast- if she does...