Skip to main content

Feminist Review of Hamilton: An American Musical

I saw Hamilton last month and it was absolutely INCREDIBLE! I know there's a ton of hype to it right now... but trust me- it FAR exceeded the hype! I absolutely loved it! There are spoilers to some key visuals to the show 

One of the best things about the musical was the way that it portrayed women in history. There are lots of women in history... but they're very underrepresented. History remembers Alexander Hamilton, but we don't remember Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton and all that she did for America also... this musical really shows everything that she did for America also. 

If you've listened to the soundtrack till the very last song, you know how she pretty much dedicated her life to preserving her husband Alexander's legacy after he died. She made sure that his story was told, that his friends that fought by his side were remembered, she raised funds for the Washington Monument and established the first private orphanage in New York City. Eliza had what Alexander did not: time. She lived into her 90s, 50 years after Alexander's death according to the play. 

And the play's choreography sort of focuses on just how much Eliza helps Alexander. It's very subtle but from the very first scene in the play, she puts on Alexander's Jacket throughout the play from the very first song. She's there for him in good times, she supports him and she helps shape the Alexander that we remember. 

In Contrast, it also shows the negative effect of women in his life. In the song "Hurricane." When Alexander is about to write The Reynolds Pamphlet... which is what destroyed his career and led to his downfall- Maria Reynolds hands him the pen... which is a pretty meaningful foil to the Eliza-Jacket thing right? Hamilton destroys his own life when he writes the pamphlet... and it's not like Maria is the one that forced him to write it... and it isn't Eliza that makes Alexander who he is either... It's just sort of an angel- or devil- over the shoulder type of thing... and I think it's interesting that they used women for this. It was definitely not just a coincidence and it definitely carries a lot of meaning... and I really liked that about it! 

It's also interesting to note that the characters Peggy Schuyler in Act 1 and Maria Reynolds in Act 2 are played by the same actress and basically have opposite roles. Peggy is a very young girl who's just concerned about what her Daddy says to do when they go out... and Maria is a very sexy woman that is having an affair with Alexander and in sorrow because of her abusive husband. Later in life Maria and James Reynolds did get divorced... just for history's sake. Lol. 

And then there is Angelica. The play implies a romantic connection between Angelica and Alexander... and that is more poetic license than anything. It's said that the two were very close and they did write to each other... and history knows how Alexander wrote when he was trying to impress women (or John Laurens possibly...) and we kind of have an idea of when Hamilton was being flirtatious. I haven't read the letters to Angelica... but that interests me. Anyway... her character was portrayed this way in the play as a way to show that there are different ways to tell history. Which kind of shows that a man's version of history... which is kind of what we're getting might be different than a woman's telling. And her character is the one highlighting inequality for women at the time. She couldn't be with Alexander because she needed to marry a Rich husband because she was the oldest in a family of daughters. She only wanted to be with Alexander... but she wasn't able to because of her class. She's smarter than Alexander and figures him out right away when they first meet... but she is unable to get everything she wants because she is a woman in a time that doesn't allow women as many freedoms. She is buried near Alexander... but not with Alexander... in case you needed one more unrequited love heartbreak. 

One scene I don't really want to get into... but I need to mention because it is so powerful: Burn. It's sung by Eliza... and I think it's the only real solo that Eliza has... it is a very powerful scene. It was definitely one of my favorites in the whole play and the most different than what I had imagined. That song was also added to show why women are absent from history. Eliza erased herself from the narrative, which is why her story is untold. This is probably poetic license... but it does bring up the inequality of women in American History as opposed to men. 

This play was one of the most amazing plays I've ever seen... highly highly recommend it if you can see it. This was a birthday surprise for me which I am very very thankful for. It far exceeds the hype. I love it! 

Byeee! 
-Shannon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every day. I have a be

Feminist Disney: Zootopia

Zootopia is a really great Disney movie with some great messages about accepting others... but I also think this is a good feminist movie also. Disney has a lot of strong female characters, especially as of recently... Disney does sort of underrepresent women in movies because of marketing. I swear... all The Force Awakens toys I saw were Kylo Ren... and that isn't okay... but anyway this is kind of cool that it isn't marketed as a girls movie or a boys movie but the main character and -SPOILERS- the villain in the story are women. Judy Hopps and Assistant Mayor Bellwether have a lot in common also. They are both "Meek Prey," they are both trying to succeed in a field that is mainly filled with male predators... they're both very ambitious, smart characters. They have similar dreams- they just get there in different ways and handle their mistakes differently... which defines them as a hero vs a villain. They don't really mention the difference between me

Feminish TV : Black Mirror Season 3 Episode 1: Nosedive

I had been wanting to see Black Mirror for a while, and this is the episode Netflix decided to play for me. Oddly, they have Black Mirror starting from the Most Recent Season and then going back to the first season… so it’s the opposite of what they normally do.   Also, in case no one knows, Black Mirror is a horror/sci fi series kind of like The Twilight Zone, but a lot darker and scarier. So each episode is different, different cast different characters, different story… so its kind of like its own movie… but a little bit shorter.  This one stars Bryce Dallas Howard as a woman living in a world where Social Media is everything. People have something attached to their eye that brings up everyone’s profile whenever you look at them, you can see their “Score” which shows how popular they are. 5s are the highest… most people are in the 4 range. Bryce Dallas Howard’s character is in the mid-4’s and she’s looking to bring herself up to a higher 4. There are advantages to being a h