Skip to main content

Lady Gaga Body Shaming

Here's the more negative thing that happened at the Superbowl this year... Lady Gaga performed the Superbowl this year and she wore typical outfits that every dancer would wear. They showed her stomach and she's a very fit woman... she works out like all the time and is in very good shape... but she's still a human and has a stomach. I can't even say she has flab or a little pudge... she looked fantastic... but somehow people were saying she was too fat to dress like that... here's how she dressed.

I'm not sure what exactly people are seeing here as "fat." It's totally TOTALLY baffling to me.

Men are allowed to go around shirtless... and they have more of a comfortability doing that. Not that they aren't body shamed as well or if they feel totally insecure or not... but there are lots of times when men do yard work like mowing the lawn or something and it's hot so they take their shirt off... men do this no matter what their body looks like... and people don't really say anything about it... at least adults probably for the most part don't say anything about it. It's something you maybe think about as a kid... but then you realize "Ohhh that's a physically demanding job... he's hot and will probably get overheated if he doesn't take his shirt off." It makes sense...

So why don't people see that Lady Gaga is also a dancer? She's a singer... but dancing is a HUGE part of her job. That is a physically demanding job as well... and she needs to dress in clothes that are appropriate to dance in. Sure... she could have done that without showing her stomach... but then people would just say something else. They would say it was "too skin tight" or something... people would pick it apart if they wanted to pick it apart... its just something that happens when you are in the public eye. I find it hard to believe that any fan of lady gaga was like "Wow! I was really looking forward to Lady Gaga at the halftime show... but I was disappointed that she looked so chubby at the Super Bowl." No... we just said "Wow! What an amazing performance! I almost cried!" Because I did. I've been a long time fan of Gaga... before she became a household name in the US- I saw her on a German MTV type of station and I really liked Just Dance... so maybe I've imprinted on her and I just am loyal to her... but I get personally offended when people say something bad about her... so I got kinda pissed! Maybe I'm too attached... but first off- THIS IS NOT FAT! Secondly... leave her alone for doing her job and basically wearing a work uniform. She's not doing this to impress you... she's not doing this for you... she's doing this because that is what she does.

So... yeah. Body shaming in general isn't okay. It's kind of the same as catcalling if you think about it. It's like saying "Ohhh... your only value is your body, and that doesn't look good... so I'm not going to think of you as a human anymore." It really devalues a person... and it just isn't right.

Byee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every day. I have a be

Feminist Disney: Zootopia

Zootopia is a really great Disney movie with some great messages about accepting others... but I also think this is a good feminist movie also. Disney has a lot of strong female characters, especially as of recently... Disney does sort of underrepresent women in movies because of marketing. I swear... all The Force Awakens toys I saw were Kylo Ren... and that isn't okay... but anyway this is kind of cool that it isn't marketed as a girls movie or a boys movie but the main character and -SPOILERS- the villain in the story are women. Judy Hopps and Assistant Mayor Bellwether have a lot in common also. They are both "Meek Prey," they are both trying to succeed in a field that is mainly filled with male predators... they're both very ambitious, smart characters. They have similar dreams- they just get there in different ways and handle their mistakes differently... which defines them as a hero vs a villain. They don't really mention the difference between me

Feminish TV : Black Mirror Season 3 Episode 1: Nosedive

I had been wanting to see Black Mirror for a while, and this is the episode Netflix decided to play for me. Oddly, they have Black Mirror starting from the Most Recent Season and then going back to the first season… so it’s the opposite of what they normally do.   Also, in case no one knows, Black Mirror is a horror/sci fi series kind of like The Twilight Zone, but a lot darker and scarier. So each episode is different, different cast different characters, different story… so its kind of like its own movie… but a little bit shorter.  This one stars Bryce Dallas Howard as a woman living in a world where Social Media is everything. People have something attached to their eye that brings up everyone’s profile whenever you look at them, you can see their “Score” which shows how popular they are. 5s are the highest… most people are in the 4 range. Bryce Dallas Howard’s character is in the mid-4’s and she’s looking to bring herself up to a higher 4. There are advantages to being a h