Skip to main content

Beyonce's Performance At The Grammy's- Review, Thoughts on Criticism

Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed... which means I basically woke up and the news was on and I don't like what's going on in the world that much... anyway I also have been seeing a lot of criticism of Beyonce's Grammy performance... and I get that people don't like it... but I feel like people aren't understanding how art works... so I'm going to explain that a little bit too as why I'm a little angry at the controversy surrounding it.

I thought the performance was really good! The song was good, I like Beyonce's music. I thought the idea of looking like your mother is something pretty powerful that women can relate to. Blu Ivy looks a lot like Jay Z more than Beyonce. Beyonce's father has very dark skin and her mother has lighter skin... that's probably hard to deal with growing up... and not even speculating or anything...  but looking like your parents is something people talk about. I thought the imagery was really pretty. There were religious imagery in the live performance and the pre-recorded portion... different religions too I thought... I'm guessing that was intentional. The thing with the chair tipping was kind of cool. I don't remember the song all that much... but I remember the performance and the imagery.

Now it wasn't like a "Wow! That was an incredible performance for a pregnant woman to do." It was a performance that was catered to a woman that is pregnant with twins. It couldn't all be live, so parts of it were pre-recorded. She didn't sing as much as the pre recorded talking portion... because she's pregnant! She did what she could in the best way she could... not the best performance... but she's pregnant!

And at no point during the night was she like "Wow! I'm so much better than you because I'm pregnant with twins and I'm performing." I don't really get where people are getting that. Maybe because of the imagery or the fact that she had an acceptance speech? That is something every single performer would do. Except Adele apparently, who thanked Beyonce because she liked Beyonce's album better than her own... which was classy... anyway yeah people were just mad because they think Beyonce thinks she's the only person that's ever been pregnant with twins... and she's not... but that's not what Beyonce was saying with her performance.

Beyonce's Lemonade was her using her art to tell a story about her life... right now in her life... she's pregnant with twins, so she's catering her performance to make it the best she possibly can while being pregnant with twins. She's mentioning she's pregnant with twins a lot because she isn't always pregnant with twins. She isn't saying that she is the only person in the world pregnant with twins... She is just catering her performance because she's pregnant. It won't be as high energy as it usually is and it wasn't that good... if she wasn't pregnant with twins I probably would have thought the performance sucked because it was only really half performed live... but this is what she can do and I thought it was great for that. It was a very creative way to still give a memorable performance while pregnant... with twins.

I don't really think this is a sexist thing... but it does bring up a lot of woman's issues... so I figured it would be fitting on this blog. It's the same as me getting annoyed at Tom Brady for being happy that he won the Super Bowl again, or for the Bachelor contestants talking about how great they are... it's part of the job. It's a little annoying... but that is what they do and I think we can all just accept that and move past it. It is what it is.

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every day. I have a be

Feminist Disney: Zootopia

Zootopia is a really great Disney movie with some great messages about accepting others... but I also think this is a good feminist movie also. Disney has a lot of strong female characters, especially as of recently... Disney does sort of underrepresent women in movies because of marketing. I swear... all The Force Awakens toys I saw were Kylo Ren... and that isn't okay... but anyway this is kind of cool that it isn't marketed as a girls movie or a boys movie but the main character and -SPOILERS- the villain in the story are women. Judy Hopps and Assistant Mayor Bellwether have a lot in common also. They are both "Meek Prey," they are both trying to succeed in a field that is mainly filled with male predators... they're both very ambitious, smart characters. They have similar dreams- they just get there in different ways and handle their mistakes differently... which defines them as a hero vs a villain. They don't really mention the difference between me

Feminish TV : Black Mirror Season 3 Episode 1: Nosedive

I had been wanting to see Black Mirror for a while, and this is the episode Netflix decided to play for me. Oddly, they have Black Mirror starting from the Most Recent Season and then going back to the first season… so it’s the opposite of what they normally do.   Also, in case no one knows, Black Mirror is a horror/sci fi series kind of like The Twilight Zone, but a lot darker and scarier. So each episode is different, different cast different characters, different story… so its kind of like its own movie… but a little bit shorter.  This one stars Bryce Dallas Howard as a woman living in a world where Social Media is everything. People have something attached to their eye that brings up everyone’s profile whenever you look at them, you can see their “Score” which shows how popular they are. 5s are the highest… most people are in the 4 range. Bryce Dallas Howard’s character is in the mid-4’s and she’s looking to bring herself up to a higher 4. There are advantages to being a h