Skip to main content

Feminish Reviews- 13 Reasons Why (TV Show) *Spoilers*

I thought that the Netflix series based on the book 13 Reasons Why did a great job of showing a lot of different problems that are hard to deal with for girls or for parents... and there were some very disturbing scenes that I believe critics have been insulted by...but I thought it was a good series with a lot of good character development and multi-layered characters... which is a word I think I just made up- but that's something refreshing to see in a teen drama.

I've never been through a lot of the stuff that Hannah has been through in the show... but they still made her very relatable. The feeling she has that no one likes her- that is a very real thing that I've thought of often... the paranoia that everyone is looking at her and laughing at her... that is very real. All of her little joys but then in the end no one was listening to her and she couldn't get the help that she needed... that's upsetting and although I haven't really been through anything like that... I'm sure a lot of people can understand that.

The one thing that is a HUGE problem in the world is that people don't listen to women... and they don't listen to women soon enough for anything to matter. The school councilor could have saved Hannah's life... if he had just believed her. Hannah was known for being dramatic and she had a reputation at the school for being promiscuous... so most people thought she was "asking for it." I'm not sure if that was what Mr. Porter did actually think- he was new to the school and didn't know about her reputation necessarily... but the fact that he should have done something other than blaming Hannah for what Bryce did to her is a huge problem that actually happens.

Also... another scary- but real thing that happens to women... Bryce raped 2 girls that we know of... and he gets to win awards for being good at sports... This was an actual news story that happened.

The other thing is that Hannah was a normal teenager... that's just it. She did a lot of stupid things teenagers do... she was mad at people for a lot of stupid reasons why teenagers are mad... that doesn't make her problems any less real than anyone else's.

Hannah's Mom's vulnerability and the hope that was in her voice when she mentioned Hannah was looking into different schools (after she had died) was very sweet and probably something a lot of parents go through. The author of the book did talk to people that had gone through similar things Hannah was going through... their storyline with the lawsuit was not mentioned in the book at all... but I would imagine that there was some realness in the character and that is a very sad story... and Kate Walsh portrays her so powerfully and I thought her character was really great also.

There was also Courtney's tapes... and she was willing to lie and do horrible things that ruined other people's lives just because she was afraid of coming out of the closet. She should have equal rights and to be able to be who she wants to be and love who she wants to love... but she's scared and she has a right to be scared because it is scary. I thought they portrayed Courtney as a very unsympathetic character also. There were a lot of people that I was kind of rooting for... Clay, Jessica, Alex, Zach, Sherri, Tony and the Bakers. No one else really seemed sympathetic to me. And maybe Courtney was more sympathetic to other people and I just have a problem with her telling Hannah "we shouldn't be seen together." and making up a rumor about Hannah that she knew wasn't true. There's probably a reason why she was written less sympathetic.

The writers did a good job of kind of making you go through what the kids listening to the tapes were going through... so that I think really helped me connect to the characters a little bit better... and I think the audience is supposed to feel the same way. That is really powerful and although I complain about some of the writing being predictable and not at all subtle... there is still that subtle feeling that you're in this group... and that's kind of brilliant and I think it will hopefully help people gain more insight into some of the feminist issues presented in it... so I'm totally giving it a win for that..

There's a lot more I could talk about with this... but I'll end it there. Let me know your thoughts, feelings, opinions and things like that in the comment section!

Byeee!
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every day. I have a be

Feminist Disney: Zootopia

Zootopia is a really great Disney movie with some great messages about accepting others... but I also think this is a good feminist movie also. Disney has a lot of strong female characters, especially as of recently... Disney does sort of underrepresent women in movies because of marketing. I swear... all The Force Awakens toys I saw were Kylo Ren... and that isn't okay... but anyway this is kind of cool that it isn't marketed as a girls movie or a boys movie but the main character and -SPOILERS- the villain in the story are women. Judy Hopps and Assistant Mayor Bellwether have a lot in common also. They are both "Meek Prey," they are both trying to succeed in a field that is mainly filled with male predators... they're both very ambitious, smart characters. They have similar dreams- they just get there in different ways and handle their mistakes differently... which defines them as a hero vs a villain. They don't really mention the difference between me

Feminish TV : Black Mirror Season 3 Episode 1: Nosedive

I had been wanting to see Black Mirror for a while, and this is the episode Netflix decided to play for me. Oddly, they have Black Mirror starting from the Most Recent Season and then going back to the first season… so it’s the opposite of what they normally do.   Also, in case no one knows, Black Mirror is a horror/sci fi series kind of like The Twilight Zone, but a lot darker and scarier. So each episode is different, different cast different characters, different story… so its kind of like its own movie… but a little bit shorter.  This one stars Bryce Dallas Howard as a woman living in a world where Social Media is everything. People have something attached to their eye that brings up everyone’s profile whenever you look at them, you can see their “Score” which shows how popular they are. 5s are the highest… most people are in the 4 range. Bryce Dallas Howard’s character is in the mid-4’s and she’s looking to bring herself up to a higher 4. There are advantages to being a h