Skip to main content

Feminish TV:Imaginary Mary Review

So for some reason… I’ve seen Imaginary Mary 4 times… and I wasn’t really planning on doing a feminist review on it or anything… but I thought that Alice, played by Jenna Elfman and Mary, voiced by Rachel Dratch are strong female characters with a unique story that women can relate to. 

So the premise of the show is that Alice’s parents got divorced as a child and as a way of coping with that, she created an imaginary friend named Mary who is cute, fluffy and sassy and helps Alice deal with problems. She feels like her mom is neglecting her and she doesn’t want to commit to anyone because she doesn’t want to be like her mom. So when she dates a man with 3 kids… Mary comes back to try to help her with that situation. Also it shows that Alice has a very good job and that she’s very powerful on her own. Most of the story is just her with her thoughts… and I think that is well done. 

So I kind of like that Alice isn’t seen as “crazy” with Mary… she was kind of hallucinating I guess… but there’s no stigma against Alice for Mary’s being there. It’s just kind of showing a creative way that she processes her thoughts… and maybe that isn’t realistic for people who hallucinate, but I think it’s nice that there isn’t really a stigma about it. 

Also kind of liked that he had 2 girl kids… just seemed good. A lot of times shows just have one girl teen or child and that’s mostly for ratings and for teenage girls to have someone to relate to for ratings purposes… and on the other ABC shows I don’t think they’re really throw away characters… but I still appreciate a 2-girl family on sitcoms. 


That’s all I really have to say about the show… wasn’t really looking to review it on here… but it’s kind of cool to show these things. It’s also a very relatable situation to be in… and there are lots of shows about men with commitment issues, but not a lot about women! So I liked that aspect of it. It’s a unique show that I would recommend! 

Byee! 
-Shannon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why "The Ditzy Character" Is Problematic/ Don't Let anyone question your intelligence.

So... I mentioned last week that I don't think we need a dumb female character on TV or in movies and it just doesn't really add anything to the story if there's just a dumb character... of either gender really. It's a cheap gag for laughs... and girls should know that it's not just funny to be dumb... and that people won't like you any better if you act dumb... it's okay to be smart. I'm smart... I don't think I'm the smartest person in the world... I'm sure if I said that many people reading this would disagree... lol. But in school I usually got good grades... maybe not in Science or Math or any of those types of subjects... but English, history. Those are my friends. And as far as English classes go... I was the best student in several of my classes and I'm proud of myself for that... The thing is... I feel like a lot of people won't believe me about that because at some point in my life... I've acted "dumb" beca...

Why Catcalling Isn't Okay, and Why It's Okay Not To Like It

Today I went to the grocery store with my mom and grandmother and while we were checking out, some older man says “Ohhhh, Nice! Young Lady! Have Mercy," to me! I was really pissed!  The thing about catcalling though is that a lot of people kind of make it seem like its less of a big deal than it is and that women should be okay with it… And no one should have to be okay with being catcalled. Here are my reasons:   I wasn’t asking for it  A lot of times people shrug it off and say something like “Well if you dress like that you’re just asking for it.” Nope… I was wearing a sweater… a mock turtleneck actually, jeans, and a large peacoat. This isn’t any different than how I normally dress. I shouldn’t have to modify my dress for my safety… also I’m not sure how I could exactly be wearing anything more reserved. It’s a striped sweater with a slouchy turtleneck… I definitely wasn’t asking for it.  I was wearing makeup… but that’s another thing I do every da...

Feminsit Movie Review- Amelie

So in March I think I'm going to try to watch a different movie every night... and if I think there's a feminist message in it- or if it was important to pop culture for women... I'll write about it! I'll start off with Amelie. I didn't really know what this movie was about... I just knew that it was in French, I thought it looked like a love story... and from the previews it looked beautiful and interesting. And I was right... kinda. What I thought was powerful about this movie from a feminist standpoint was that, even though it was a love story... that wasn't the focus of the movie at all. The focus was mostly on a strange girl that kept to herself most of the time and had a vivid imagination... even as an adult. Although she was quiet and didn't really interact with people... Amelie is quite a strong character. If she doesn't like someone, she'll do something about it right away and create a certain sense of justice. In contrast- if she does...